VEP supports adult immigrants and refugees who live or work in Chester County. Once you are matched, you are asked to make a commitment to meet with your tutor twice each week for at least one year.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Reside and/or work in Chester County.
- Commit to one year or more of English instruction.
- English is a new language.
- Demonstrate a need to learn or improve one’s English language proficiency.
- Students may be accepted at all levels, from beginning to advanced.
- NOT have F1 (Student) or J1 (Work/Study) Visa or other temporary visitor status.
- Preferably, NOT in the U.S. under an Au Pair Visa.
- Preferably, NOT already enrolled in a similar literacy agency program.
Follow these steps to become a VEP Student:
Step 1: Call VEP office at 610-918-8222 to make an appointment,
Visit the VEP office at 790 East Market Street, Suite 215, West Chester.
Email your message to email@example.com.
Step 2: Meet with a VEP staff member for an interview and test – takes about 2 hours
Step 3: Your name will be placed on VEP’s waiting list – the waiting period can vary from several weeks to several months.
Step 4: VEP will call when a tutor is available. VEP staff works hard to keep your wait as short as possible.
Step 5: Meet with a VEP staff and your new tutor – takes about one hour.
Step 6: Begin tutoring in your community close to your home or workplace.