If you would like to find out more about volunteering at the Volunteer English Program just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at 610-918-8222. Also, please note that we require a one-year commitment of approximately 3 hours per week, for the sake of continuity and effectiveness for our students. If you wish to be involved but cannot make such a commitment, please call the office and we will be glad to discuss other ways of helping our program.
Prepare to be a tutor through a VEP workshop. Sessions are held throughout the year in local communities. Please click Workshop Registration at the left to find details about the next workshop.
Review the profiles of individuals on the waiting list and give input about who you would like to have as a student.
Meet your new student along with VEP staff and participate in an example lesson.
During the matching appointment, you will:
- Receive information about your student’s language skill level and learning goals.
- Be assisted with finding a convenient and appropriate place to meet with your student.
- Be given direction to develop an individualized learning plan for your student and receive appropriate books and resources.
- Observe and participate in a demonstrated lesson with your student.
After you have been matched, you will:
- Meet with your student twice per week if possible for 1 ½ hours each time.
- Develop weekly lessons based on student centered goals.
- Complete tutor-student progress form and send it in to the office regularly so we
can document progress and goals attained.
- Network with other tutors at VEP social and educational events.
- Always have VEP staff to call upon for any concerns and more ideas.
You can expect to:
- Learn interesting facts about your student, their country, customs and culture.
- Share personal talents and professional expertise.
- Observe the important impact you are having on your student’s life.
- Change someone’s life forever – including yours.